The ability or tendency of organisms and cells to maintain stable internal conditions is called
- emergent property
Why do organisms maintain fairly steady conditions within their cells and bodies?
- Organisms just change along with whatever is happening in the outside world, which is usually quite steady.
- They need to keep conditions stable so that they can obtain food.
- They must maintain stable conditions to keep their enzymes working and generally to enable the chemical reactions of life.
- Unstable conditions will destroy the DNA in cells; this is the most important risk for a cell facing physical or chemical stress.
You provide your gut bacteria with a warm place to live. They provide you with vitamins and other services. This most directly represents an example of…
- shared ancestry of all life
- interdependence of life
- natural selection
An organism or cell exhibits ____________ when it maintains steady internal conditions despite changes in the outer environment.
- natural selection
Select the statements that correctly represent the theory of evolution. Select all that apply.
- Evolution is partly about inheritance. Evidence of evolution is seen in structures such as wisdom teeth and the tail bone in humans. These structures are thought to be “left over” from our ancestors and no longer appear to have any essential function in modern humans.
- Natural selection means that today’s organisms are perfectly adapted after millions of years of fine-tuning. No further changes are necessary because of all the progress that has been made by natural selection.
- We can see evidence of past natural selection in adaptations such as the camouflage of moths perched on the bark of their host tree. We can also see natural selection at work today if we track how populations change in rapidly changing environments.
- The theory of evolution does not apply to life today. It is strictly about the history of life: what happened in the past as seen in fossils.
- Scientists disagree about the main ideas of evolutionary theory because of incomplete or conflicting evidence.
Which type of molecule best illustrates the very strong relationship between structure and function in biology?
- all kinds of organic matter
- oxygen gas
Imagine you have a peanut butter sandwich in front of you. The sandwich is an example of _______.
Which statement about evolution is FALSE?
- Evolution occurs constantly, without end; there is no endpoint in evolution.
- According to evolutionary theory, you are related to a bacterium, to a yeast cell, to a snake, and to a whale. In fact, you are related to every species now alive on Earth and to fossil species like dinosaurs as well.
- Natural selection acts on genetic differences within a population to cause evolution. Individuals do not evolve.
- Natural selection is about slow but steady progress. Through it, populations constantly get better-adapted. When this process is completed for all populations, evolution will come to a stop.
Which of the following is not a recurring theme in biology?
- Living organisms maintain homeostasis.
- Energy flows through living systems while matter is recycled.
- Evolutionary processes explain both the unity and adaptive diversity of life.
- All of these are recurring themes.
Which best expresses how nutrients and energy move through life?
- Nutrients flow from sunlight to organic matter to heat. Energy cycles among all life forms.
- Nutrients and energy both are continually recycled in a great circle of life.
- Nutrients cycle among all life forms. Energy flows from sunlight to chemical energy to heat.