DNA Function Quiz
A typical PCR cycle consists of steps at different temperatures, typically 55, 78 and 98 oC. The correct order of these steps is?
- 55, 98, 78
- 98, 55, 78
- 98, 78, 55
- 78, 98, 55
- 78, 55, 98
- 55, 78, 98
Does the DNA in the skin cell have the same sequence of bases as the DNA in the brain cell of the same organism?
- Yes, the sequence of ALL DNA is the same.
- No, some cells will have mom’s DNA, other cells will have dad’s DNA.
- No, the DNA sequence will vary based on cell type.
- Yes, the sequence of bases should be the same in all cells of an organism.
Skin cells perform very different functions compared to brain cells. On the molecular level, what makes skin cells different from brain cells in the same organism?
What process is responsible creating distinct sets of proteins in skin cell compared to brain cell?
- Gene Expression
- DNA Mutation
- Base Titration
- DNA Replication
If radioactive nucleotide bases were provided to bacteria during DNA synthesis, then after cell division you would find:
- Neither would be radioactive because DNA polymerase can distinguish between isotopes.
- One bacteria would be radioactive and the other not.
- Both bacteria would be equally radioactive.
During DNA replication, it is possible for the T residue in the template strand to form two hydrogen bonds with a T base on the new strand. This doesn’t normally occur because:
- The T-T basepair contains two of the smaller sized bases.
- The two T-T hydrogen bonds will be weaker than the two hydrogen bonds between an A-T pair.
- DNA polymerase cannot incorporate T into the newly synthesized strands.
- The normal A-T base pairing uses 3 hydrogen bonds, so it will be preferred.
Which of the following statements is FALSE?
- Both DNA replication and PCR use DNA polymerase.
- Both DNA replication and PCR use primers.
- Both DNA replication and PCR use helicase.
- Both DNA replication and PCR use a DNA template.
What is the end result of DNA replication?
- Two DNA molecules one with two old strands and one with two new strands.
- Two DNA molecules which each have two new strands and two old strands.
- Two DNA molecules each both have two new strands.
- Two DNA molecules which each have one old strand and one new strand.
Which part of the nucleotide stores the genetic information?
- Nitrogen base
- Phosphate group
The order of amino acids in proteins depends on the order of bases in the DNA.