Introduction to Biology Quiz
Introduction to Biology
Proteins within muscles interact, causing the whole muscle to shorten (contract). Which is the emergent property?
- interaction of the proteins
- contraction of the muscle
Which of the following would a biologist study? Select all that apply.
- How bacteria respond to antibiotic treatments.
- How algae interact with various fish.
- How to produce new varieties of corn plants.
- How earthquakes can be better predicted.
Read the following statements. Which one is NOT an example of the characteristics of life?
- Your body gives off heat after running up several flights of stairs.
- Drinking water after perspiring while working in the garden on a hot day.
- A single-celled organism dividing into two separate organisms.
- A fertilized egg developing into a young chick.
- All of the examples above demonstrate characteristics of life.
- None of the examples above demonstrate characteristics of life.
This level of organization is the defining level of biology. As far as we know, life is an emergent property that exists at this level. Below this level, no single entity is truly alive.
On the surface of the eye is a transparent, flexible covering called the cornea. This structure would best be classified as a…
- organ system
Which is the correct order from smallest to largest?
- Cell < Tissue < Molecule < Organ
- Cell < Molecule < Tissue < Organ
- Molecule < Tissue < Cell < Organ
- Molecule < Cell < Tissue < Organ
A cleaning product claims it “kills 99.9% of germs and viruses.” Explain the flaw in this statement.
Viruses are also ‘germs’. They deliberately leave out bacteria and give you only a 99.9% guarantee – this is a defense mechanism in case you use their product and get sick.
Your thoughts arise from signals that zip around through a network of nerve cells in your brain. Which is the emergent property?
- Your nerve cells.
- Your thoughts and your ability to think.
- Your brain.
Your aquarium contains three goldfish, one turtle, some plants, and millions of bacteria and algae. All those organisms together form a(n):
Aristotle’s statement “The whole is much greater than the sum of its parts.” Explains which of the following?
- Emergent Properties
- Interactions between biotic and abiotic components
- Life uses energy and raw materials to grow
- None of these